Can you afford to hire a professional mover? Before you say NO, read this.
Fill out the worksheet below and see how much it would cost you to do it yourself. Then get estimates from three reputable, well-reviewed moving companies. It will cost a little more to have someone do it for you, but there are many factors like lack of stress and peace of mind that you can’t put a price on.
DIY Cost Calculator
$______________ Truck rental (make sure all is included such as drop off fees)
$______________ Mileage (if they charge for that)
$______________ Insurance (your insurance may or may not cover you driving a truck)
$______________ Gas (figure about 10 miles/gallon @ $2.50-3.50 per gallon)
$______________ Boxes (you’ll need 50-150 boxes most likely @ approx. $3/box)
$______________ Packing material (you’ll need bubble wrap, packing paper, tape, etc.)
$______________ Hotels (if it’s more than a 12 hour drive you’re best not to push it)
$______________ Pizza & beer (do you have strong friends on either side that can help?)
$______________ Hired labor (if you don’t, then you should hire someone to help with the big stuff, especially if there are any stairs at all. People get injured and belongings broken all too often trying to do more than they should.)
You can also download it here.
Thinking it through.
- First, there’s renting a large moving truck and paying for the gas (at about ten miles per gallon) and possibly supplemental insurance.
- If you’re driving a rented moving truck, how will your family vehicles get to your new location? Add in those costs.
- Estimate the costs of purchasing all the packing materials—reinforced boxes, padding, tape, etc., plus specialty packing for awkward and/or exceptionally valuable items like artwork or musical instruments.
- Review the actual move logistics—you’ll need people at both ends of the move to help load, unload and set up all your belongings.
- Do you feel secure in unloading and reconnecting your major appliances by yourselves?
The potential savings in time (the average household fills about 100 moving boxes, and that doesn’t even count furniture), stress and physical strain is likely to be, well, maybe not priceless, but well worth the investment in a professional service.