Most times, moving is associated with a fresh start and excitement. But a child, who already has his world of friends, a sense of identity with his or her home, school and neighborhood, can be uncertain about moving to another home.
Communication is often the best tool when dealing with young children. Speaking to them in advance and involving them early on in the process will prepare them for the big day and even after.
The following moving books for kids will be helpful in preparing the children for the move.
1. Moving with Kids: 25 Ways to Ease Your Family’s Transition to a New Home – February 20, 2007, by Lori Collins Burgan.
2. The Moving Book: A Kids’ Survival Guide – August 26, 2008, by Gabriel Davis.
3. We’re Moving (First-Time Stories) – November 11, 2004, by Heather Maisner, 4 years and up
4. Saying Good-Bye, Saying Hello…: When Your Family Is Moving (Elf-Help Books for Kids) – June 1, 2005, by Michaelene Mundy, preschool and up.
5. Big Ernie’s New Home: A Story for Young Children Who Are Moving – April 15, 2006, by Teresa Martin, preschooler.
6. A New House – December 30, 2011, by Jill Wenzel, 4- 10 years.
7. It’s Moving Day! – March 1, 2008, by Pamela Hickman, 4-7 years.
8. Melanie Mouse’s Moving Day – February 2, 2010, by Cyndy Szekeres, 4-6 years.
9. Moving House (Usborne First Experiences) – June 1, 2005, by Anne Civardi, 3 yrs and up.
10. My Very Exciting, Sorta Scary, Big Move: A workbook for children moving to a new home Paperback – December 14, 2013, by Lori Attanasio Woodring Ph.D. 5-11 yrs.