It’s Your Move – Make your relocation Green!
Ace Relocation Systems is proud to be among the first to be certified as a Sustainable Agent. We view environmental sustainability as part of our commitment to our customers, and to our planet. It is part of our overall Corporate Social Responsibility program. We never stop reaching for ways to improve our environment via better technology and business practices. Whether it’s at the corporate office or at a job site, our goal is to come up with greener ways to do business.
As a national moving company that specializes in not only individual domestic residential moves but also corporate relocation and international relocation, we feel it is our obligation.
Fuel and Emission Reduction
Many of our company drivers and Professional Van Operators use the following fuel and emission reduction practices:
- The Pre-pass allows them to bypass the scales. Cleared vehicles may proceed at highway speed, eliminating the need to idle, slow or stop. The E-Z Pass allows them to signal toll booths for pre-approved clearance. Both of these passes eliminate emissions from idling as well as time from having to stop.
- IdleAire allows drivers to shut off their engines. This helps by providing heating and cooling which conserves fuel, extends engine life and engine maintenance periods and reduces pollutants into the air by not idling. Visit http://www.idleaire.com/ for more information.
- Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) reduce engine running time. This eliminates all non-operating idling while still providing heating, air conditioning, and electrical power.
Going Paperless with Technology
As a large moving and storage company, we use the most up to date technology to increase business efficacy and reduce waste (whether it be paper, time or fuel). In the end, this is how technology saves everyone money.
- Handheld mobile devices. These are used to provide pricing estimates at the customers’ homes. Not only does this reduce paper, but it increases accurate transference of information.
- AtlasNet Inventory. Our company drivers and Professional Van Operators use an electronic inventory system that scans the contents of a move, notes the condition of the items, and instantly creates a log. Not only does this reduce paper, it makes the process more efficient and the information is stored immediately.
- Mobile technology. This quickens information between the drivers/Profession Van Operators, operations and the customer. It saves time and fuel as it eliminates stops for paperwork pick up.
Green Practices Abound
As a moving and relocation services company, we go through a lot of cardboard. In order to reduce environmental stress, we reuse boxes as much as possible, use recycled materials, compact and recycle paper and cardboard, and provide reusable totes for local and office moves. Whether it’s on the road or at the office we, as a moving company, strive to practice green habits like these in order to do the best thing for our environment.
- Support E-waste recycling of computers, cell phones, televisions and other electronic components. Let us handle recycling or disposing of these items for you the proper way.
- Arrange to have items picked up or delivered to local E-Waste recycling plants. We do this every month to prevent approximately 600 tons of e-waste from being dumped in local landfills.
- Employ many practices to conserve energy. We use automated systems to control thermostats and lighting and power down PCs after hours. We are constantly upgrading our desktop technology to include energy-efficient flat panels that use half the energy of their predecessor monitors.
- Work to reduce waste. We print only when necessary and avoid color printing as much as possible. We also switch printers and copiers to double-sided settings.
- Recycle cardboard, newsprint, and paper, keeping it out of landfills. We also recycle engine oils and fluids as well as vehicle components like tires and batteries.
Air Pollution Reduction
On January 1, 2014, the California Air Resource Board (CARB), in conjunction with federal air standard regulations, phased out 2009 and older engine models. This made it illegal to operate non-compliant trucks. Ace Relocation Systems embraced that and took a leading role and a proactive approach. Ace Relocation has been investing in cleaner, more efficient equipment that meets the standards set by the CARB and the EPA. As a result, Ace Relocation has one of the largest compliant moving fleets in California and beyond.
We at Ace Relocation Systems, an Atlas Agent, never stop striving for ways to improve our environment via better practices.
Atlas Van Lines has many Energy Initiatives including:
- Activation of fully diesel-electric hybrid trucks. This creates lower emissions than diesel-only trucks as well as minimizes fuel consumption. In addition to it being less toxic than table salt and biodegrading like sugar, it decreases dependency on foreign oil. We will continue to bring on more of these trucks.
- Generators in their trucks. These generators maintain on-board systems without running the engine during rest stops. This allows the Professional Van Operator to comply with state idling laws.
- Using only biodegradable soaps and closed vehicle wash systems. This prevents harmful effluents from flowing into drains. They capture and retain water, and then test it to ensure purity before release. They are also adopting double-hulled tanks that safeguard the in-ground fuel supplies.
Sustainability is more than being environmentally-friendly. It’s also about a connection to the well-being of communities and people around us. Atlas Agents stay engaged in their community by being involved in charity work and helping non-profits.
Visit http://www.atlasvanlines.com/move-green/ for more information.